In my last post, I mentioned a dress I was reworking, as I didn’t like the fit of the almost finished product. I did make a muslin, but I think the differences in the fabric really made a difference between the muslin dress and the actual dress. The fabric is Dainty Daisies rayon by Joel Dewberry, and it is lovely, but very delicate to work with.
I selected Dress B from the McCall’s M6741 pattern, and completed this dress, minus hemming, late last summer. I was very proud that it was finished, so I was very annoyed when, despite following directions, the slit neckline kept flopping open on me. Not the look I was going for. I didn’t have the time or energy to fix this issue, so the dress sat unfinished in my craft room all winter while I was working on other projects. Now that the sun is shining and I have figured out my game plan for fixing the neckline, it’s time to get this dress moved from the craft room to the closet!
I have only one picture of me in this dress, and it is one of those awful bathroom selfies, so just try to visualize it. Overall, the test muslin did it’s job and the fit is good, however that neckline did not stay in place, and I didn’t like the lining at all. I decided to sew up the neckline slit and make a shallow rounded neckline, and rip the lining out and instead make a self fabric neckline facing. I trimmed the facing in yellow 1/4″ double fold bias tape, and also tacked it down by hand to the seam allowances to keep it in place. I think it looks pretty cute! I am happy with the neckline now, as it isn’t gaping open, and I really don’t mind the seam down the front. The dress is constructed with princess seams so I don’t think it’s a big deal to have this seam here. If it were a less fitted style, it might look odd.
Removing the lining was a pain, and I decided just to chuck it once it was off the fashion fabric and buy a new zipper instead of unpicking more stitches. The fashion fabric did take a beating from all this, and there are some stress points and a few pinholes, so I will have to be extra careful washing and wearing. I have definitely learned to make a muslin in the same type of fabric as the finished product next time! On a positive note, I am quite happy with how well the invisible zipper turned out, and also the great colour match; the first zipper was purchased before I had the fabric in hand and was not so great.
I am hoping that by the end of this week I have this dress hemmed and ready to wear in more places than just in front of my bathroom mirror!