We were in the city yesterday for an appointment and stopped at the mall to pick up some sunglasses for me and play clothes for my son at the Gap. I really like their cotton jersey cuffed pants for William, they look so comfy and they aren’t bulky like actual sweat pants. The only thing I dislike about them is that the drawstring isn’t functional, it’s just for looks. William always grows out of his clothes in length, never width, so he needs a functional drawstring to keep his pants up. I checked out the waistband in the store, and figured that I could remove the fake drawstring and put in a functional one.
I picked out the stitches from the label on the back and the fake drawstring on the front and removed them from the pants.
I used some cotton twill tape I had on hand for the drawstring, and used a piece about one and a half times the circumference of the waistband. I double folded and stitched the ends with a zig zag stitch on my machine. My stitch length was set to 0.5 and width to 1.0. I had trouble with my machine eating the tape, as I don’t have a straight stitch plate, so I rearranged the tape and pulled it through with my other hand to get it to feed properly.
I threaded the new drawstring through the waistband with a safety pin, and, done! I used up all the twill tape I had, so I think I will use some bias tape for the second pair. Super cute!